We take care of filing your wedding license for you. It takes any where from 2 – 10 weeks for your official wedding license to be ready. Counties like Kern, Fresno, and Kings take around 2-3 weeks to process your license, while counties like LA or San Francisco take 10 weeks to process your license. The official license will either be mailed to you (if you filled out additional paperwork when you filed for the license) or available to pick up in person at the County Clerk’s office where you filed.
It is always a good idea to get 2 copies of the official license. This is what is needed to change your name.
Here are the steps to change your name:
- Get the official license from the County Clerk (it will have a stamp on it)
- Contact Social Security (some places require an appointment, while others just do a walk in) for a new card. Complete an Application for a Social Security Card (SS-5). Have your official license, driver’s license or passport, and birth certificate (might want to double check on the birth certificate)
- Once your card arrives, contact the DMV for an appointment to change your name (I think you might also need a new picture, so come dressed and ready!)
- Next, you will want to change your name with other places like your job, bank account, and credit cards. Below is a list of places that might want to know about your name change
- Most places will want a copy of the wedding license to make the change
Places to notify about name change
- Post office – maybe a change of address
- Credit card company
- Insurance – car and medical
- Cell phone company
- Utility bills – gas, water, electric
- Telephone and Utility Companies
- Passport office